Statement of Intent:
The RFU/RFUW has clearly stated the importance of affording equity, equal opportunity and fair treatment to all RFU/RFUW members. Chineham Rugby Football Club, in turn, will follow and adhere to any Equity Policy issued by the RFU/RFUW.
Chineham RFC aims to ensure that all members irrespective of their age, gender, ability, race, religion, ethnic origin, creed, colour, nationality, social status or sexual orientation have a genuine and equal opportunity to participate in rugby. This aim covers all players, coaches, administrative staff, match officials or spectators.
It is the aim of Chineham RFC not to disadvantage any individual by imposing any conditions or requirements which cannot be justified.
Advice and training will be sought from the appropriate RFU departments for all Chineham RFC members.
Direct discrimination is defined as treating a person less favourably than others are or would be treated in the same or similar circumstances.
Indirect Discrimination occurs when a requirement or condition is applied which whether intentional or not, adversely affects a considerably larger proportion of people of one race, sex or marital status than another and cannot be justified on grounds other than race, sex or marital status.
The objectives of the Chineham RFC Equity Policy are:
- To adopt a planned approach to eliminating perceived barriers which discriminate against particular groups. This will include widening the traditional approach to include communities who are experiencing disadvantage, poverty or health inequalities.
- To ensure that no coach or member of Chineham RFC receives less favourable treatment on the grounds outlined in this policy statement.
- To obtain from the RFU clear guidance for any member of Chineham RFC on any Equity matters.
- To ensure that all members of Chineham RFC at all levels and roles receive fair and equitable treatment.
- To ensure that the format of any competitions or assessments organised by Chineham RFC provides equity for all, except where specific situations and conditions properly or reasonably prevent this.
- To ensure that all advertising or Chineham RFC documentation which is distributed promote a clear image of the profile of those who are part of the club.
Chineham RFC seeks to promote equity and equality through:
- Monitoring all practices, procedures and data relating to the operation of the club including any recruitment drives.
- Conducting regular reviews of all existing rules and regulations to ensure that it does not prohibit people from groups who may suffer discrimination from joining the club.
- Developing collaboration with other external organisations to ensure equity, fair and consistent treatment of all club members.
- Identify and provide appropriate training for all to raise the awareness of both collective and individual responsibilities.
Chineham RFC will, in pursuance of this policy, adopt any special measures or positive actions implemented by the RFU/RFUW in favour of any group that is underrepresented within its membership.
Chineham RFC recognises the legal obligations which are set out in the RFU/RFU Equity Policy. These legal obligations are based on the following acts of Parliament:
- Race Relations Act 1976 (amendment 2000)
- Equal Pay Act of 1970
- Sex Discrimination Acts 1975, 1986 and 1999
- Disability Discrimination Act 1975
- Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
- Human Rights Act of 1998
The Equity Manager of the RFU is responsible for providing the RFU with data for monitoring the effectiveness of the RFU Equity Policy. The Equity Manager is also tasked with providing clubs with appropriate information concerning the RFU Equity Policy.
The RFU/RFUW will work with key equity partners and accountable officers within these organisations to ensure that all programmes and initiatives are inclusive.
Chineham RFC will when requested provide the Equity Manager with any information to assist the appointee in fulfilling this objective.
Chineham RFC will seek advice from the RFU Equity Manager where appropriate to ensure that the correct procedures are implanted when it is necessary to limit competitions organised by the club to persons of a specific age, gender or disability group to ensure equitable, safe and equal competition.
Chineham RFC expects all members of the club to adhere to this policy.
In pursuance of this policy and in compliance with RFU guidelines, Chineham RFC reserves the right to instigate disciplinary action against any member who practices any form of discrimination on the grounds of a person’s age, gender, ability, race, religion, ethnic origin, creed, colour, nationality, social status or sexual orientation.